Time for a change! BMW X5 XDrive 45e











Here we go again….! 


Its been nearly 3 years since I have been driving my Jaguar. Absolutely love it!!! However the idea of selling it was instilled into my mind by Jaguar. Following my car maintenance service I was invited by Jaguar to consider selling my car as they could really give me a good value for it, keeping in mind the condition it was in and the current state of car market with very little new car stock in place. 


Unfortunately Jaguar, didn't have any cars in stock which I felt was going to be an upgrade from my current Jaguar XF! The earliest I could get one from Jaguar on factory order would be at least 12 months away due to part shortages! 


Then I started to look at the VW Touareg R - Petrol Plug in Hybrid - kind of best of both worlds - luxury SUV with hybrid engine at the same time. My last experience with the Touareg was just awesome! Loved the drive, comfort, spacious seating for the passengers, reliability, etc.... I can go on! I contacted VW dealerships and was given a reasonable price quote through a broker, however delivery time was again 9-12 months. I can tell you one thing, once the seed of a new motor has been planted in my head....it just starts to grow at a rapid pace!

I started looking at the other options in the same segment- the usual suspects - Mercedes GLE, Volvo XC-90, BMW X5, Audi Q7 & Porsche Cayenne Hybrid. 

Mercedes GLE had a hybrid but was combined with a Diesel engine - so that was out immediately. Next came Audi Q7 - which got ruled out due to a dated design (have had the recent A6) and hybrid engine was not capable of high speed driving besides having a much smaller battery. Volvo brought nightmares to my wife, as she has the XC-40 and regrets every minute of it! I was just left with the BMW X5 and the Caynne Hybrid. But once I speced it up to my liking both were going way above my maximum budget. Here comes the conversation with my cousin once again!!!! 


He guided me to an amazing BMW offer when purchased through a specific dealership for NHS discount! This then allowed me to spec up the X5 to the way I wanted it which would suit me and my family just perfectly! 


Finally, placed the order for a BMW X5 XDrive 45e with the following specifications on the 27th of October 2021. 


  • Carbon black exterior colour
  • Ivory white Individual Merino Leather
  • Sky lounge panoramic sunroof 
  • M Sport Pro Pack
  • Technology Plus Pack
  • Comfort Pack


X5 was delivered on the 23rd of April 2022. 


Plenty have written and given their opinion on the G05 X5 45e, so I'll skip the general review and focus on the things that surprised me, or that I had questions about prior to buying.

My build is M Sport Pro Pack with Carbon Black Metallic over Ivory White individual Merino Leather with Aluminium Mesheffect dark interior trim. 


As mentioned above we chose the Technology Plus Pack which comes with Gesture Control, Head up display, Driving Assistance Professional, Parking Assistance Plus and Drive Recorder. 


The Comfort Pack includes Comfort access with smart open, Comfort seats, Temperature controlled Cup holders, Heat comfort package and front and rear heated seats. 


The M Sport Pro Pack includes 21 inch M bicolour alloy wheels, BMW individual exterior trim, high gloss shadowline, M seatbelts, M Sport breaking system, High-Gloss Blue. 


As this car was built in March 2022, it only has the 'base' HiFi stereo system as no upgrades were available at that time due to part shortage. Another option that was deleted due to part shortage was the “touch” functionality on the iTouch controller. 

Below are my first impressions after a two-week 500 mile regular use at home driving in and around North-West London both for work and pleasure with my family. It also includes a short trip to Gaydon Test Track. 

Carbon Black Metallic
A very common colour in general for the BMW range. I just love the two tone effect of most BMW metallic colours. 

I wanted a change from the usual white or Black colours I have had in most of my cars that have been pre-ordered. However my wife was adamant she wanted a black colour again. We saw the Carbon Black and fell in love immediately as it helped us both - I got a colour which was “different” to the black in full light and my wife still had her black in full darkness.

It pairs particularly well with the M Sport and Extended Shadowline trim, which makes it appear to be a mean machine, aka Black Beast! 

Fuel Economy
One of my major reasons for a switch to a PHEV was the best of both worlds benefits from the X5 in particular. 

Having calculated most of our day to day journeys being within the total 52 miles claimed range, I was very sure that nearly 80-85% of the journey would be in Electric Mode so not using the ICE most of the time, unless really needed. The remaining journeys through the year when we would be driving far, I could easily rely on the ICE with no range anxiety affecting us. 


I am so pleased to say that so far I believe the two sources of power are so seamlessly integrated in this drivetrain, that it truly is the best Hybrid system money can buy. 

Comfort Seats
We found the seats to be the best we've ever used in a car. Soft and cushy while still being supportive, and with every adjustment available that you could possibly imagine. One feature I'd never read about before was that when just touching (not pressing) the seat controls, the iDrive screen will show you via diagram what the control you are touching adjusts. This is invaluable because the location of the controls means you can't physically see them while driving. By running your fingers along the controls you can easily find the one that does what you want which is important when there are *20* different adjustments you can make.

Air Suspension
This is the first car I've had with air suspension and I absolutely love it. The ride is not only comfortable but in my opinion very luxurious! Definitely the most luxurious car I have ever owned. I do enjoy being able to set it to be lower and firmer via Sport or in Electric Individual.

The other occasions where I have used the air suspension is to lower the tail gate to load/unload the boot. Nice feature! 


Driving Assistance Professional
Another first for me in car that I have owned. Having driven my youngest brothers Tesla, I always had doubts how would the normal car manufacturers ever be able to match/improve on Driving Assistance Technology. I have to say, I am very pleased with what BMW have done. I am pleased I chose this as an option as I had some doubts at the time of ordering the car. 


I have used it on motorway drives as well as in stop-start traffic on some days commuting from work. It works just as described. It has definitely reduced the stress of stop/start driving. 


Parking Assistance
I love all of the four cameras and how easy it is to turn them on and navigate the various views. The birds eye-view feature is the reason I chose the tech plus pack and it hasn’t let me down. 

iDrive 7
Another very well executed OS for the in car entertainment as well as vehicle feature controls. Very easy, well laid out, intuitive system. Also quite responsive to both touchscreen or iDrive controller as well as voice command. I am eagerly awaiting an online OTA update to enable Apple Car Play as it’s currently a feature that’s disabled due to chip shortage issues. 


HiFi Stereo
The standard stereo system seems to be the most belittled thing on the forums, and I was therefore ready to upgrade to Bavsound or other aftermarket upgrades as soon as I could. But upon actually getting to hear it in car, and listen to it for me, it is more than just good enough. 













21” M Y-spoke bi-color wheels
I really love the design and aesthetics of these badass 21” alloys. In my opinion one of the best “standard” 21” alloys currently available on any car (perhaps I am but biased) but that’s an honest opinion. 


Ambient Lighting and Sky lounge sunroof

Not something I needed, but on insistence of my younger son, the Sky lounge sunroof was added as an extra! I have to say, no regrets any more and I have to thank my son for being so persistent on his request. We all absolutely love it. I have now had panoramic roofs ik two of my previous cars - definitely an option I would like to continue with. The led lighting in the roof is just another level of luxury which I have not seen! Well thought-out and executed. The ambient lighting when seen in person doesn’t look as obtrusive as in the photos or online review videos.  



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cinema Room Upgrades

Our first all Electric Car - Cupra Born v3